In addition to the adventures written for Starfinder Society, some other adventures Paizo produces have been sanctioned for organized play. Since these adventures are published for a wider audience than the Starfinder Society campaign, there is typically a downloadable sanctioning document with chronicles and any special considerations for organized play.
- Starfinder Adventure Paths: Multi-volume campaigns that take dozens of game sessions to complete. Many Adventure Paths are sanctioned for use in the Starfinder Society campaign.
- Starfinder Adventures: Stand-alone adventure books that take one or more sessions to complete. Many Adventures are sanctioned for use in the Starfinder Society campaign.
- Starfinder Bounties: Short one-hour adventures aimed at introducing new players to the game or representing what characters do between Starfinder missions. Bounties are sanctioned for use in the Starfinder Society campaign.
- As sanctioned adventures, all Starfinder Bounties are repeatable.
- As sanctioned adventures, bounties do not grant downtime.
The society rules for play are customized to work with Starfinder Quests and Scenarios, and are not necessarily applicable to other sanctioned adventures. As such, SFS has 2 different modes of play:
Society Mode is used for SFS Scenarios and Quests, and adheres to all the rules published in this guide. Society mode is governed by the Run as Written provisions in Game Master Basics.
Adventure Mode is used for adventures not specifically designed for society play, and allows the GM more freedom to adapt those adventures, including running the adventure in Starfinder using GM house rules and the ability to alter encounters and statistics found in the adventure.
Most Starfinder Society Scenarios and Quests require the use of a SFS character or SFS sanctioned pregen. Most Adventure Mode sanctioned products can be played with any character; some include pregens, though, and players are encouraged to play those characters for an optimal experience.
Starfinder Society Characters must be built using the rules in the Character Creation Appendix, starting at level 1, and played from there. (Some boons allow characters to start at higher levels.) Any adventure that can be played with a SFS character can also be played with a SFS Sanctioned Pregen. When playing an adventure using a SFS character, the chronicle must be assigned to that character.
Story Pregens are characters released with an adventure, and often contain ties to the adventure's backstory.
Champaign Characters are characters that are designed according to the GM's House Rules.
|Ruleset||SFS Characters Only||Story Pregens Required||Story Pregens Recommended*||Campaign Characters|
|Society Mode||Scenario, Quest||-||-||-|
|Adventure Mode||Bounty||Free RPG Day||Beginner Box, One Shot||Adventure, Adventure Path|
* To provide the same level of experience, we strongly recommend that GMs who chose to use Campaign Characters instead work with their players to tie those characters into the adventure backstory.
Each Sanctioned Adventure comes with a freely downloadable Sanctioning Document located on the product’s description page on paizo.com. This document contains the rules for running that adventure, as well as Chronicle Sheets awarded for completion.
Read the sanctioning document carefully, as it may modify the Adventure's rewards. Specific information in a particular sanctioning document always takes precedence over the general information presented in this Guide.
Unlike Starfinder Society adventures, Chronicles for Sanctioned Adventures are assigned at the completion of the adventure.
A group can complete an adventure when the adventure is not sanctioned. If it later becomes sanctioned, the GM is allowed and encouraged to issue chronicles to all interested players. These chronicles are applied as if the group had completed the adventure on the date the chronicle is issued. Such chronicles must have an accurate issue date (that is, they cannot be backdated) and cannot be applied such that they retroactively affect other chronicles.